Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Gift of Tatting
My partner's dad who is in his 80's and his cousin who is 87 came to visit us this week. They came to see our gardens and the cousin wanted to see my tatting as she used to tat when she was a bit younger ( as she put it ). When I showed her my collection of tatting all she could do was gasp and say she had never seen anything so beautiful. She was used to the basic tatting done in larger size thread and could not believe how fine the thread I use is. I took the opportunity to show her some of the techniques like the split ring and double picot and she was just amazed, but the best part for me was the look on her face when I gave her a doily to take home with her and the way it made her face glow with happiness. She said to me no one appreciates the gift of tatting like someone who knows how to tat. I was glad to be able to make her day.

12 comments:

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Oh what a great post! How very generous to part with one of your fantastic doilies. I wish I could have seen the look on her face too! I am sure it was priceless!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I'm so glad you were able to share one of your beautiful doilies with someone who truly appreciates it! Thank you for sharing this story!

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

What a lovely story! Thanks for sharing this touching moment with us, Clyde :)

Toptattyhead said...

That memory will stay with your cousin forever! I bet you felt wonderful in the giving of the present!

Tatskool said...

Well done, that was a magnificent gesture. What a joy to give to someone who will appreciate it.

Tattycat said...

Congratulations on the opportunity to share with this lovely woman in such a special way. I'm sure she will never forget the moment. I wish I could have seen her too!

Gina said...

That had to be just the best feeling ever! It's moments like those that put the icing on the cake.
:-) Gina

Unknown said...

I wish other tatters could have been there to see the look on her face. It made you realize that there are some people that truly appreciate the effort that goes into each piece of tatting that we create. Gregg's Dad informed me that when he dropped his cousin home she had a little cry as she was telling him how special the day was to her and that she was given a piece of tatting. The doily could not have gone to a better home.

Unknown said...

THat is so sweet. I'm glad you had such a lovely experience, Clyde. There's nothing like giving a piece of tatting to someone who appreciates what it is and the effort that goes into it. I'm sure your tatted doily was absolutely beautiful and will be treasured.

Tat-a-Renda said...

What a wonderful, sweet moment for you. I wish I could have been there as well. Thank you for sharing it here.

Daniel said...

I am glad that you had such a great time with them and could share you talents in such a way. The kids Heidi and I realy enjoyed our visit with the two of you and we can testify of the beautiful works that you have been able to produce. What a creative talent you have. The lunch was great but we are greatly saddened to find out that we missed out on the free doily. ;-)

Eileene said...

Clyde,thats one of the sweetest things I have heard of !! You are one of the kindest people I know. Thanks for having the sweet heart that God gave you. Eileene aka noiseynana