Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Christmas Time Again


For the past two years a special friend of mine has given to me for my gift the money to purchase two of David Reed Smith's hand made shuttles. It is an exciting gift in many ways as you get to pick the size of the shuttle. What wood it is made from. If you want a hook or pick or neither. Then there is the wait for the shuttles to arrive. Each day the mail-lady comes to the door you wonder to yourself is this the day i get to see my new babies. They arrive wrapped with tender care and there they are all shiny and bright just waiting for you to wind some thread on them so they can work there magic. If you have never used a David Reed Smith shuttle I would highly recommend one. Not only are they beautiful to look at but they are a dream to tat with. Light as air, they float through your hands producing the finest of lace. Now the moment you have been waiting for the two shuttles.




The lighter of the two is made from Birds Eye Maple and the second is made from a wood called Pommele Sapele and it glows with highlights of gold. The pictures give you an idea of how they look but there is nothing like seeing them in person. I recommend that you visit his website to see what he makes if you can take the temptation. Well it's off to initiate my new shuttles. Happy tatting.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Those are so totally cool, Clyde! That is an awesome gift from your friend!

Oh, if you want to come on over to my blog and enter in my giveaway! You are so totally invited! :)

Tattycat said...

Those are gorgeous! I love the way the tips are a different wood. He did a beautiful job. I know you will enjoy them.

Unknown said...

Hi Clyde, I just stopped back over to say thank you for entering the giveaway! Good luck to you! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Tattingchic they are an awesome gift and I will enter your giveaway right now.Thanks Tattycat I think the shuttles are beautiful to.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I love my DRS birds eye maple shuttle (looks much like yours).
Congrats on your new babies!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I have one of David's birds eye maple shuttles, too! You're right... they are as light as air and easy to tat with. Merry Christmas to you, Clyde!

Katherine said...

They look beautiful! (and how thoughtful of your friend to let you buy two, I love to have matching shuttles when I use two.)
I love my DRS shuttle too. It holds masses of thread, but is really fine and light.
I look forward to seeing the next piece of work.

Valerie said...

your new babies are gorgeous! ooh, i'm tempted again...

Singtatter said...

I haven't got any of these shuttles, but they sure look very well-made. Something to wish for for the new year! Enjoy your special gifts!

Ridgewoman said...

Oh Clyde, I love my DRS shuttle too; I ordered a large one and it holds a lot of thread. The smaller one I have is pretty also. Mine is lacewood (the big one).
They tat like a dream...and I love the brass points ~ they work really well. David's work is just exceptional; plus, he is a really nice fellow.
Best Wishes, Ridgetatter (bev in New Mexico, USA)